Surveys are a valuable part of any developers toolbox. They are useful for getting feedback from your users on a variety of topics including application satisfaction, requirements, upcoming needs, issues, priorities, and just plain aggravations to name a few.
The Survey app gives you the opportunity to learn by developing a full-featured app that will you can add to your toolbox. It provides the ability to define a survey, allow users to respond within a predefined timeframe, and tabulate and present results.
Users of this app are divided into two distinct roles, each having different requirements:
- Survey Coordinators define and conduct surveys. This is an administrative function not available to normal users.
- Survey Respondents Complete surveys and view results. They have no administrative privileges within the app.
Commercial survey tools include distribution functionality that mass emails surveys to Survey Respondents. For simplicity, this app assumes that surveys open for responses will be accessed from the app's web page.
- Survey Coordinators and Survey Respondents can define, conduct, and view surveys and survey results from a common website
- Survey Coordinators can login to the app to access administrative functions, like defining a survey.
Defining a Survey
- Survey Coordinator can define a survey containing 1-10 multiple choice questions.
- Survey Coordinator can define 1-5 mutually exclusive selections to each question.
- Survey Coordinator can enter a title for the survey.
- Survey Coordinator can click a 'Cancel' button to return to the home page without saving the survey.
- Survey Coordinator can click a 'Save' button save a survey.
Conducting a Survey
- Survey Coordinator can open a survey by selecting a survey from a list of previously defined surveys
- Survey Coordinators can close a survey by selecting it from a list of open surveys
- Survey Respondent can complete a survey by selecting it from a list of open surveys
- Survey Respondent can select responses to survey questions by clicking on a checkbox
- Survey Respondents can see that a previously selected response will automatically be unchecked if a different response is clicked.
- Survey Respondents can click a 'Cancel' button to return to the home page without submitting the survey.
- Survey Respondents can click a 'Submit' button submit their responses to the survey.
- Survey Respondents can see an error message if 'Submit' is clicked, but not all questions have been responded to.
Viewing Survey Results
- Survey Coordinators and Survey Respondents can select the survey to display from a list of closed surveys
- Survey Coordinators and Survey Respondents can view survey results as in tabular format showing the number of responses for each of the possible selections to the questions.
- Survey Respondents can create a unique account in the app
- Survey Respondents can login to the app
- Survey Respondents cannot complete the same survey more than once
- Survey Coordinators and Survey Respondents can view graphical representations of survey results (e.g. pie, bar, column, etc. charts)
Useful links and resources
Libraries for building surveys:
Some commercial survey services include: